So I finally got my 100 mbit internet connection. Yay! But after testing the speed through my WRT54G router/firewall, I could not get higher speeds than around 20 mbit/sec. After assembling an old 300 mhz pc with three Ethernet cards and the SmoothWall linux firewall I get around 70 mbits/sec. I will probably try to overclock the poor old pc to 400 mhz tomorrow. To try everything out, I downloaded the XCode 2.2.1 development image from Apple. It’s around 800 mb and it took just a couple of minutes. I could get used to this.
Here’s a smart move. Create a car computer for navigation and in-car entertainment. $300 sounds great as well. And it uses linux. Hopefully some of the navigator software developers will make a linux system, because the bitmapped picture based navigation softwares currently available doesn’t cut it. My car stereo is about to give up, so I guess linux is coming to my car soon…
So I’ve been busy for the last five days setting up my Asterisk PBX. I’ve connected two different VoIP lines to it. I have the X-Lite VoIP softphones installed on all the computers and an FSX device so I can use my regular wireless phone. And it’s enjoyable learning something new. First, my wife thought that I was crazy, “Who needs a telephone switchboard at home!?” But I think she’s coming around. Now she can sit at her computer using a headset and talk to her friends without holding the line. And it’s easy to transfer calls between all the phones in the apartment. It’s also nice to have a digital answering machine and get the messages mailed to you. The added benefit of multiple lines on the same phone number and that it doesn’t cost anything to dial a phone in Sweden is a bonus.
The last two days I have worked on a Perl AGI module for Asterisk. When someone calls, the script looks up the name of the person or company calling on the internet and shows it on the phone display. It works now, but I’m about to start to add a database function to it, so It saves the name/phone number in MySQL to minimize the load on the net and to get faster lookups. You can write the AGI in PHP, C or Perl, so I decided that this was an excellent opportunity to learn Perl. It’s a fantastic language for doing data mining. I will probably start using it now that I’m getting the hang of it.
It’s nice to see that there are companies like Rix TeleCom. It’s one of my VoIP providers. And talk about excellent service. And they let their customers connect using an Asterisk server; they even have a forum for asterisk users on their web page. And a couple of their employees regularly answer technical questions on the forum. It’s nice to see a company that is “hacker” friendly. They’ll get my recommendation.
After my earlier installation of Amavis and ClamAV it was time to upgrade to SpamAssassin 3.0. And what a difference! It works great, and it feels like the worst spam problem is solvable. It catches a lot more spam and I just discard it. I was worried that the upgrade would break my Amavis installation, but I just had to use
To convert the database from version 2 to version 3, all it took was a
and all was well.
My main linux webserver that hosts my company is about to be replaced. I have been thinking of it a lot, because it crashes about every four months. And when running linux you know it’s a hardware problem when you get horrible uptime. So I thought it was the right time to move over to a Mac OS X Panther Server machine instead.
When roaming around among all my electronic junk, I found an old PowerMac G3 Blue/White 400mhz, so I took it and did a ground up install of OSX Server 10.3.5. After using SquirrelMail for a while I must say I liked it, so I enabled webmail. I made some home made SSL keys so I can use SSL for web, mail and LDAP stuff. I also set up kerberos and all the other cool stuff that’s already there. But what to do with virus and spam issues?
I found an article called “Updated Spam/Virus controls with OS X Server” from the eminent people at www.afp548.com and used it to set up virus and spam check on it. It uses amavisd to filter mail from virus with clamav and finds spam with SpamAssassin. I had to struggle with PostFix a bit to get it to work. I always get into trouble when using Apples Server Admin program to do stuff.
I also followed the articles idea of having site-wide folders called Ham and Spam, for users to help train the system. I’ve put up two cron scripts that goes through the ham and spam folder, learn what is what and then empties the folders. Couldn’t be easier.
I’m also moving over to using IMAP so I can have all my mail available when traveling, using webmail. It’s going to be nice. By doing this upgrade to two machines at the same time made it a bit confusing. Especially considering that I did it late at night. But it now works. So as soon as I can get the faulty server replaced, it’s evaluation time. If this works out I’ll make this part of the standard install of small office servers.